Monday, September 1, 2014

A First for Everything

Well, I'm finally going to bite the proverbial bullet and start a blog. The wonderful and talented Deborah Nolan over at Society of Stampaholics hosts a monthly international card exchange and I needed to have either a blog or a photostream to sign up. Since I love to write and adore crafting, blogging should suit both of those penchants perfectly! Plus, hopefully I'll meet some new friends who can inspire my crafting inclinations. It can get awfully lonely in North Dakota, as I'm living away from most of my family.

What would a first post be without a little cardmaking action? My aunt Jerrie has been bugging me to send her a card and Autumn is right around the corner. (Ok! Ok! It's here already and I'm just living in denial.) I just scored a bundle of new stamps for super cheap at an estate sale and was dying to try out this new fall stamp that was in the mix. 

The Finished Result:

Materials:
Red, white, and tan cardstock
Fall Adirondack chair stamp, Northwoods Rubber Stamps, Inc
Recollections brads, fall medium circles
Spectrum noir markers
Black archival inkpad
Perfect Pearls, Forever Red
Distress Inks, Weathered Wood
X-acto Knife
Mounting tape circles


Instructions:
1. Cut your red cardstock to standard card size (5 1/2 x 8 1/2), fold. 
2. Stamp your image twice onto a sheet of white cardstock (4 1/2 x 3 3/4). Cut out Adirondack chair from one of the images. 
3. Color image and chair using Spectrum Noir markers. This card took many different colors to blend, all of which are listed above.
4. Using raised mounting circles, attach colored chair to original image. 
5. Using Perfect Pearls in forever red, color some of the red leaves for a little bit of glitter (what card doesn't benefit from glitter?) 
6. Using Distress Inks Weathered Wood stamppad and a sponge (or Ranger's lovely blending pads) distress the corners of the image. 

Here's a closeup of the effects of step 5 and 6. It really shimmers in the light but, of course, the camera doesn't do it justice. 


7. Cut 3 tan strips of 1'' cardstock and attach brads to the ends. 
8. Assemble card with your choice of adhesive. 
9. Voila! You are finished. 

I chose an autumn saying for the insides, and brushed it with a little bit of Perfect Pearls to give in a shimmery finish. 



My very first card for my blog brings my love of Autumn's warm colors to life. I hope Aunt Jerrie enjoys it! 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Becca, so glad you got your blog up and running. I never could work out how to comment on photostream LOL. Fab card and I'm sure your Auntie will love it. If you put up a google friends connect button I can follow your crafty larks. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca...I read on Darnell Blog that you started on September...oh wooooww I never can believe..maybe you put your cards somewhere before...your card all are adorable this one also..really adorable colored and Darnell right you are new at blogland and you got much Awards...you are really a talented womand and so sweet always visiting me back...many thanks sweety its really much to me..may I ask where do you life...
    Ionabunny right you can put a Google friend button also many people can follow your blog...I am having difficulty follow with google plus also I promise to put your name on the left side of my blog so I can see if you put a new post sweety...hope you agree..
    big hugs from me in Germany, Monika

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay....stop scoring all these grey finds at Estae sales will you....save some for the rest of the world. Just kidding of course. Love your card and had no idea that you have only had your blog for a short time....you seem like a pro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That is just the sweetest compliment. I've crafted for a looooong time, but only in the privacy of my own home. I just started blogging and it's been and AMAZING source of inspiration!

      Delete
  4. So, I'm pretty sure you're the newest blogger that has linked up! I love that! Isn't it just an awesome community, all the paper crafters that you 'meet' along the way! I'm so glad that you've linked up and that you're helping me to celebrate my blogaversary!

    ReplyDelete