Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Sunset Card - Mixed Media Card Challenge

SUMMER! I know that technically summer doesn't start until June 20th, but it's been soooooooo beautiful up here in the prairieland that I'm beginning to believe the calendar is wrong. Either that or I'm somehow living in a parallel universe of good weather. 

I'm talking sun-dappled, breezy days followed by evenings of rolling thunder dampening the land... ahhhhhhhh... 

But I digress! (as usual!)

Today I'm here to show you a card that was inspired by the lovely weather AND by the Mixed Media Card Challenge for this month. 



The theme this month over at Mixed Media Card Challenge is Sunset with the option of postage stamp.


I started out with grandiose plans, thinking I'd sponge a whole scene and create a masterpiece on a card. 

....Instead I scribbled....
And it was fun. 

Haha! Seriously! If you guys haven't noticed by all of my posts lately, I've been having a blast experimenting with the different things Distress Crayons can achieve. 

Normally, When I do a Distress Crayon card, I try to blend the colors together by smearing with my finger. This time, though, it seemed somehow wrong. I liked the scribbly scrawly feel of their non-blended origins.



So I left it, and used the sun die cut from Verve's Partly Cloudy set. I also stamped some "rays" with a sentiment from the coordinating Partly Cloudy stamp set and added some glittery gems going everywhere.

I topped the whole design off with Winnie and Walter's In a Word: Love die cut and stamped a sentiment from STAMPlorations Fond Expressions 2 stamp set


I'm also playing along with:

Shopping Our Stash - 4 elements (I'm doing Fiiiiiiiiiiire baby, with all my hot heat)\
Crafty Friends Challenge - Summertime


28 comments:

  1. So vivacious. So perfect with those sentiments jutting out from the sun center. And still lots of yummy white. I love this card, Becca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your crayon 'sun' Becca - what a great design! I can feel the suns heat!!! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becca this is fabulous, I love the sentiment rays! and that gorgeous sun! Weather is beautiful up here in the great white north too--I'll take it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Becca this is just soo cool! Love your design. You totally captured the inspiration photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great burst of brightness, love it. It's very rainy here in England not that I mind but I know a lot of people who could do with sun right now, I think your card might be just the tonic. Creative Blessings, Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaaaaacck! Dare I say...BRILLIANT. Love the scribbly color and the sentiment "rays". What a terrific, genius card. All that glorious, vibrant color and a very sweet sentiment. Aced it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fum sunshine!!! Love very much yur design, adorable card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool! Hot! Love the distress crayon sun and the grunged-up love diecut.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE those scribbles!! They look SO COOL!!! LOVE the vibrant colors you used as well. Spectacular card!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfection! I agree. The scribblies look AWESOME. LOVE 'em. Love this card. Simply sensationally sunny feel about it [trying for that alliteration right back atcha!] Not sure what you call the "y's" on the end..... adverbs? But really feel is more of an adjective here... rather than a verb. You can replace it with 'thing'.... so I think, yeah, adj! Anyways....I digress [been tutoring. Can you tell??!!!].... I would take the sun AND the card in a heartbeat. Enjoy the warmth while it deigns to reign over you! Plagiarism & lovely rhyme. SNORT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous and fun! I might have to add distress crayons to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun are your sentiment sun rays!! I like the scribble lines left unblended too. It's like the heat of the sun is pulsating outward!! Excellent as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful and vibrant card Becca!
    Love the combo of sunny yellows and the lines!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your experiments with the crayons!! :P Enjoy the good weather Becca! Have a great day! :)
    Suchi xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved the scribbly sun a lot !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh how lovely and warm this card made me feel - love it Becca, and your interpretation of the theme.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Becca, this card is beyond amazing! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Becca! This is so awesome!! You nailed this challenge with the colors and sunshine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I also love the scribbled look on your sunny card!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love how you used the distress crayons..fun idea. The colors are so vibrant,too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so enjoying these distress crayon posts, once I get back from my vacation...I can't wait to play. Your card has such a care free feel with the scribbles, and the un-blended colors.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a cool, out of the box design! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous work! Thanks for sharing with us at Shopping Our Stash!
    Hugz,
    Chana, DT

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fantastic! Yeo weather has been kind here too x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, wow, a small work of art, Becca!!! LOVE what you have done here!!!! So striking!!! That sun looks amazing!!!!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete